Sunday, March 05, 2006

What a long, strange trip it's been..

This has been one of the most eventful weekends I've had in recent memory:
  • Thursday was Iron Ring
  • Friday was the first day of the National Business Technology Conference (which I attended)
  • Saturday was the second day of the conference, and Gradball.
  • (Sunday spent recovering :->)
Let me go through each one, in turn:

Iron Ring
For the most part, the ceremony was pretty much what I expected, although I won't talk about it specifically, as that's forbidden by the Ring Wraiths. (I suspect Frodo was really an Engineer who told someone about the ceremony. Or maybe it was Bilbo who told Frodo. Something like that. Either way, it was bad news when the Ring Wraiths went after him in the movie, and I don't want them after me.)

"Iron" Ring is actually a bit of a misnomer, as most of the rings (including mine) are actually made of stainless steel nowadays. Stainless steel having the obvious advantage of not rusting and leaving discolourations on your pinky finger. I really don't see any advantage of having a real iron one - the ring is a symbol of the commitment you've made at the ceremony.. and I don't think a more practical material makes it any less symbolic.

Anyway, moving on.. The after-party at Suds was quite disappointing:
  • There was no music - what party doesn't have music? One that isn't very good, that's what.
  • There was nothing to eat - as the pizza that was ordered was gone within a few minutes of the time I arrived.
  • There wasn't much to drink - the ECE club, for some reason, decided beer was the drink of choice.. but I don't drink beer, as I can't stand the taste. Apparently, it's an acquired taste - but I have no inclination to suffer through the process of acquiring it. There was none of what I do like to drink, such as Smirnoff Ice (and other drinks in the same vein).
So, after taking a few obligatory pictures giving the one finger salute (not the one you may be thinking), a few of us left early to have dinner at a Japanese restaurant in Pacific Mall in Markham (you know, the place that had, and probably still has, all of the stores the RCMP closed down for selling illegal DVDs).

Much more to talk about, but that will have to happen after I finish a computer graphics assignment I have due tomorrow..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home